We have been hearing about nutritional benefits of carrots since we were kids. One that tops the list of benefits is improved vision of eyes. Carrots are also known to prevent cancer, help in weight loss, give protection against heart and liver disease and much more.
Because of its crunchy texture, carrot is a great snack food and eaten a lot with dips these days. Shredded carrot is used a lot in salads, wraps and desserts.
I first had this south indian style carrot salad when my friend Apurva called me over for lunch. Total wooed by it, I asked for the recipe and have been making it as an accompaniment to my lunch since then. Both my mother and mother-in-law loves eating it. Blended with green chilies and curry leaves, its a crunchy and easy salad which can be prepared on a moment's notice.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 2)
- 3 medium sized carrots
- Regular or olive oil- 1 tbsp
- 5-10 curry leaves
- 1 green chili- chopped finely
- mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- pinch of sugar
- Lemon juice- few drops
- salt-1/4 tsp
- Peel carrots and shred using a shredder.
- Take oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds, green chili and curry leaves once the oil is hot.
- Now add shredded carrots and sprinkle salt, sugar and lemon juice.
- Stir well and cook for 5 minutes. Do not overcook, keep carrots crunchy.
This salad can be made using raw papaya and beetroot too.
Carrots are best stored in zip lock bags.
Amazing recipe. Really loved it, Thank you.ReplyDelete