As far as restaurant industry in India is concerned, there are phases. There was a phase when people just wanted to eat Chinese especially spring rolls and veg manchurian. These two dishes were included in the starter section in most of the restaurants. These days there is a craze of Italian and Mexican food in India. All that people want to eat is pizza, pasta, sizzler, nachos and tacos in restaurants. Honestly sometimes it does get sickening eating the same food again and again.
So the point being if you get bored of eating the same food outside and miss Chinese, then dish up these basic and very simple dishes without having them to order from outside. Trust me you will save lot of money and it won't be very harsh on your stomach. This recipe is as simple as it gets. It's super healthy and packed with veggies.
VEGETABLE FRIED RICE
INGREDIENTS- Veg Fried Rice (Serves 3)
2 tbsp regular or extra virgin olive oil
Spring onions- chopped
One carrot- chopped finely
Baby-corn - chopped in fine rounds
French beans- chopped fine
1 tsp garlic- chopped
1 tsp red chili flakes
Salt and black pepper powder
Tomato Ketchup -2 tbsp
1 cup rice
Soak rice in water for an hour and then cook until there is just a bite to them.
2. In a wok or deep pan, add oil. Once oil is hot, add garlic, chilli flakes and spring onions.
3. Now stir in chopped carrots, babycorn, beans and add salt, pepper and ketchup. Cover with a lid and let it cook for 10 mins.
4. Finally add boiled rice and mix everything together lightly. Take the pan off heat after 10 minutes and garnish with spring onions.
VEGGIES IN SOY GARLIC SAUCE
INGREDIENTS - Vegetables in Soy garlic sauce ( Serves 3)
2 tbsp regular or Olive oil
2 medium onions- diced
1 capsicum- diced
1 Carrot - diced
5-8 Baby- corns - diced
7-8 medium size florets of cauliflower
Chopped ginger- 1tsp
Chopped garlic- 1 tbsp
Dark soy- 1 tsp
Light soy- 2 tsp
Chilli flakes- 1tsp
Salt and black pepper
2 tsp cornflour
1 glass water
1. Heat oil in a deep pan . Add ginger and garlic once the oil is hot.
2. Add onions and after they sweat for a while, stir in capsicum. At this stage sprinkle salt and black pepper and cook covered for 5 minutes.
3. Now is the time to add rest of the vegetables i.e. baby-corn, carrots and cauliflower. Add dark soy, light soy, chilli flakes and cover with a lid till vegetables are half- cooked.
4. In a separate bowl, mix cornflour in water till it dissolves completely. Add this cornflour mixture to the veggies, keep stirring till you notice liquid water turning into a shiny gloss. Adjust the seasoning according to your taste bud.
INSIGHT on this dish
You can add other veggies like mushroom, broccoli, red and yellow bell peppers, spinach and tofu.
If you are a panner fan, then make the same dish using paneer.
You don't need to go over the top to make this dish. Make with simple veggies like I have and it will taste incredible.
For Veg fried rice, don't overcook rice. Keep them al-dente (just with a bite)
Add more cornflour if you like thicker sauce.
Add noodles instead of rice to make Veg noddles.
I like to add ketchup to veg fried rice to incorporate sweet and sour flavour. Avoid if you don't like.