Caramelized Onions/ Onion Jam
Caramelization of onion is a process which involves slow cooking of onions for 35-40 minutes over low heat. When you cook them slowly, natural sugar of onions caramelize making them intensely sweet and full of flavour. Caramelized onions are mostly used in French Onion Soup but they are beautiful in salad, crostini, tart and pizza too. Another name of caramelized name is onion jam which can be stored for about a week in refrigerator.
- 4-5 medium sized onions- thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar/ white wine vinegar/ red wine vinegar/ lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Heat oil in a non-stick deep pan and add onions once the oil is hot.
- Sprinkle salt and sugar over onions, stir properly and finally spread onions evenly over the pan to cook. Keep stirring every 5 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add black pepper and balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan which will add extra flavour in the onions.
- Cook for another 10 minutes and take off the heat.
- Once onions cool down, store them in an air-tight container and refrigerate to use for about a week.
Today I am going to share recipe of two crostini/ bruschetta using caramelized onions which will make you believe that simple food tastes the best. These two crostini might look same but flavours are very different.
Feta, Caramelized Onions & Basil Crostini